Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min. Can also be prepared beforehand and chilled.
Here’s another one of my favorite hot-weather recipes. It’s nutritious, tastes great, and looks spectacular, so it is also great for entertaining friends. It also requires minimal cooking skill (mostly chopping) and absolutely no finesse. I use the recipe to recycle leftover meat or substitute whatever protein I have in the fridge or pantry. The recipe is very forgiving. I make this frequently throughout the summer.
For the Boats:
- 4 large avocados or 1 small cantaloupe
For the Salad:
- For meat lovers: 1 lb. boneless cooked chicken or other cooked meat. For vegetarians: 1-2 cans beans or cooked lentils.
- 2-3 stalks celery, finely minced
- 2 apples
- 1 bunch grapes
- Plain yogurt
- 1-2 tsp. curry powder
- Optional (for extra kick):
- 1/4 small onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
Dice meat (if applicable) and apples. Mince garlic, onion, and celery. Cut grapes in half if large.
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add 2-3 large spoonfuls of yogurt to cover the salad. Add curry powder and salt to taste.
To form boats, cut avocados in half or cantaloupe into quarters. Remove seeds. Scoop salad into the boats and serve. Looks spectacular!
- To choose ripe avocados, find ones that are slightly soft to the touch, but not mushy.
- To choose ripe cantaloupes, look for a warm color under the gray ridges and press on the “button” on the bottom of the fruit to see if there is some give. You can also hold the cantaloupe in one hand and strike it. The deeper and more resonant the sound, the more juicy it will be.
- Here’s a good article on how to cook lentils, if you choose to use that as your protein.